Do you have a free day to spend in or around Nafplio, and would you like to do everything but you don’t have enough time??
In the village of Kefalovriso, one of the most mountainous and lush green villages of the Argolida, our environmental intercultural organization is seated: www.grecopaths.org
An unknown destination, even for locals.
Duration: from 4-6 hours
All the above mentioned activities can be combined considering your time and mood. Please ask us and we will adapt the above to your needs.
Distance from Nafplio: 45km.
Duration by car: 45 minutes
Altitude: 800 meters
What will you find there?
- The sources of the river Inachos. According to the mythology Inachos was the king of Argos, one of the most ancient cities in the world, 7500 years continuously inhabited and one of the most powerful city-forces in the Mycenaean era.
- The Folklore Museum. One can visit the private museum of the village and see collections of traditional costumes, weapons, coins, utensils, and photographs showing the history of the village as well as the wider region.
- Hiking Paths. Easy level hiking paths starting from the central square of the village, going through the plane tree forest with its old watermills and accompanied by small streams, waterfalls and pedestals of the river Inachos. Enjoy the unique nature of the village!
* It is worth to walk on one of the most ancient paths, the one where Fidipidis passed by, running, in less than 2days, from Athens to Sparta to ask for help from the Spartans for the battle of Marathon against the Persians. In honor of Fidipidis a super marathon is organized every year, 245,3 kilometers from Athens to Sparta. A small distance away from Kefalovriso you can beat the tracks of the most famous race in the world!
- Cycling Trails. With a mountain bike, or electric bicycle according to your physical condition, you will bike through the surrounding mountains with panoramic views and return to the village where you will enjoy a picnic or your lunch.
- Be a shepherd for a day. Get to know from nearby the pastures and meet the shepherds of the region. Try to milk a goat or sheep yourself, learn how cheese is made, your favorite Greek feta cheese, and about other secrets of the traditional cheese making.
- Learn how to make” filo” or make your favorite Greek food. In the village tavern next to the century-old plane tree, you will learn the secrets about their cooking from the women of the village, or ask them to make your favorite dish.
- Enjoy a meal, or a Greek coffee or beverage in the tavern, under the plane tree that gives great shadow on the central square of the village.Upon request, we are able to prepare authentic Greek dishes, just for you, your family or company, group.
- Get some rest, read, have a nap under the plan tree, or at the numerous streams of the river, and when you are thirsty, drink the clear fresh water direct from the several springs in the village.
- Collect mountain tea, figs, walnuts or oregano depending the season.
Grecopaths arranged personal meetings with nuns, olive oil producers, bee farmers, restaurants and recommended tracks and hiking routs. Last day they even invited us to a village party in the mountains. Great fun!